Monument protection in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, collecting antiquities for a stately collection was first begun around 1520 by Duke Heinrich V, but his collection later vanished. The present collection of the Archäologisches Landesmuseum seems to date back to the efforts of Duke Christian Ludwig II during the mid 18th century and particularly those of Grand Duke Friedrich Franz I of Mecklenburg, who reigned from 1785 until 1837. Friedrich Franz was very keen on archaeology and his support of antiquarians such as Friedrich Lisch proved very important for the history of archaeology in the region. Horst Keiling suspected that the Grand Duke's interest was kept by letting him make great discoveries while he was present at excavations (Keiling 1983: 8). As early as 1804, Friedrich Franz could be persuaded to issue measures for the protection and preservation of ancient monuments. These decrees were the earliest of their kind in Germany (Leube 1965: 9). Friedrich Franz ordered on 13.4.1804 (cited after Keiling 1983: 8):

"An alle Beamte des Domaniums. Wir befehlen euch, alle Pächter und Dorfschaften in dem euch anvertrauten Amte dahin anzuweisen, dass sie keine anscheinend heidnischen Gräber berühren, um Steine auszugraben. Ihr selbst aber habt an Uns unmittelbar ein Verzeichnis einzuschicken, wie viele heidnische Gräber im Amte befindlich sind, und auf welchen Feldmarken selbige sich befinden...."

On the same day, Friedrich Franz asked landowners to tell him about untouched graves which he planned to have excavated by Hauptmann Zinck. These decrees against treasure-hunting and other form of destruction of ancient monuments, e.g. for re-using the stones, were renewed in 1836 when Friedrich Franz ordered,

"den Pächtern und Dorfschaften in den euch untergebenen Aemtern bei scharfer Ahndung aufzugeben, sich aller Beschädigung der Gräber und Denkmäler der Vorzeit, nicht weniger aller Zerstörung derselben, zu Abhülfe wirthschaftlicher und baulicher Bedürfnisse, zu enthalten, so wie selbst strenge darauf zu wachen, dass ohne eingeholte Unsere besondere unmittelbare Erlaubniss diesem nicht entgegengehandelt werde".

Excavations were only allowed "for scientific purposes". In addition, all privately owned finds were claimed for the stately collection (cited after Keiling 1983: 9f.).

In 1837, the new Grand Duke Paul Friedrich granted a Deputation für Aufgrabungen (deputation for excavations) of the Verein für meklenburgische Geschichte und Alterthumskunde the exclusive permission to conduct excavations. This deputation, which was committed to scientific standards (Aufgrabungs-Deputation 1837), constituted the first official authority for the preservation of archaeological sites in Mecklenburg (Keiling 1983: 10f.).

Horst Keiling (1983: 11; my translation) states that in Mecklenburg "around 1837 an atmosphere had been created in which antiquities were recorded, investigated, preserved and curated on a level which was reached again not before more than a hundred years later...".

Unfortunately, during the 19th century, the attention for ancient monuments was much less developed in Vorpommern including Rügen, where many megaliths disappeared from the fields during that time period (Schuldt 1972: 10). The University of Greifswald however passed a similar law for the preservation of archaeological sites on its land in 1823 (Leube 1965: 9).

In 1887, a new Staatliche Kommission zur Erhaltung der Denkmäler (State Commission for the Preservation of Ancient Sites) was founded in Mecklenburg. This was the only body that could give permission for excavation until 1929 when a new law for the preservation of archaeological and historical sites was passed, and simultaneously a Landesamt für Denkmalpflege (State Authority for the Preservation of Ancient Sites) was founded. But due to the weak financial situation of the state at the time, which meant that no compensations could be paid, this law did not have a great impact (Schult 1931).

After the war, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern became part of the socialist East Germany, and in 1946 all prehistoric monuments were made state property. The Landesamt für Denkmalpflege re-constituted itself, but later the Museum für Ur- und Frühgeschichte in Schwerin became the solely responsible state institution for the preservation of archaeological sites in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. A new law for the preservation of pre- and protohistoric archaeological finds and monuments for the whole territory of the GDR was passed in 1954, the Verordnung zum Schutze und zur Erhaltung der ur- und frühgeschichtlichen Bodenaltertümer (Keiling 1983: 13f.; Coblenz 1983: 14). The preservation of the cultural heritage was politically of some importance in the GDR because it was seen as constituting "einen festen Bestandteil der sozialistischen Nationalkultur", a firm part of the socialist national culture (Erich Honecker, cited after Coblenz 1983: 15). Many megaliths received signs indicating their protection by the law (see figure right: center).

After the GDR had ceased to exist in 1990, the former law was replaced on 30.11.1993 by a new one, the Gesetz zum Schutz und zur Pflege der Denkmale im Lande Mecklenburg–Vorpommern.

In 1995, the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz initiated a music competition for young rock bands under the title Rock'n Ruins, in order to promote the preservation of historic monuments.


Literature

Aufgrabungs-Deputation (1837) Instruction für Aufgrabungen. Jahresbericht des Vereins für mecklenburgische Geschichte und Alterthumskunde 2, 148–153.

Coblenz, Werner (1983) Bodendenkmalpflege und archäologische Forschung in der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik. In: F.Horst (ed.) Bodendenkmalpflege und archäologische Forschung, pp. 13–40. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag.

Gesetz zum Schutz und zur Pflege der Denkmale im Lande Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Denkmalschutzgesetz) vom 30.November 1993. Gesetz- und Verordnungsblatt für Mecklenburg-Vorpommern 1993 (23), 975–981. (Also published in Ausgrabungen und Funde 40, 1995, 121–131.)

Keiling, Horst (1983) Zur Geschichte der Sammlung und der Bodendenkmalpflege. In: H.Keiling, Alte Gräber und Befestigungsanlagen. Bodendenkmale aus Mecklenburg, pp. 8–15. Schwerin: Museum für Ur- und Frühgeschichte.

Leube, Achim (1965) Zur Geschichte der Ur- und Frühgeschichtsforschung im Bezirk Rostock. Arbeitsmaterialien des Bezirksfachausschusses für Ur- und Frühgeschichte (Deutscher Kulturbund, Bezirksleitung Rostock) 1, 6–11.

Schuldt, Ewald (1972) Die mecklenburgischen Megalithgräber. Untersuchungen zu ihrer Architektur und Funktion. Beiträge zur Ur- und Frühgeschichte der Bezirke Rostock, Schwerin und Neubrandenburg, vol. 6. Berlin: Deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften.

Schult, Otto (1931) Denkmalschutz in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern 1930–1931. Mecklenburgische Jahrbücher 95, 181f.

Verordnung zum Schutze und zur Erhaltung der ur- und frühgeschichtlichen Bodenaltertümer vom 28.Mai 1954. Gesetzblatt der DDR 54, 1954, 547. (Also published in U.Schoknecht (1973) Die staatlich geschützten Bodendenkmäler des Bezirkes Neubrandenburg, pp. 16–20. Schwerin: Museum für Ur- und Frühgeschichte.)

© Cornelius Holtorf