test Browse by Author Names Browse by Titles of Works Browse by Subjects of Works Browse by Issue Dates of Works
       

Advanced Search
Home   
 
Browse   
Communities
& Collections
  
Issue Date   
Author   
Title   
Subject   
 
Sign on to:   
Receive email
updates
  
My Account
authorized users
  
Edit Profile   
 
Help   
About T-Space   

T-Space at The University of Toronto Libraries >
Kommos >
Journal articles, conference papers and book chapters >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1807/3063

Title: A LM IA kiln at Kommos, Crete
Authors: Shaw, Joseph W.
Van de Moortel, Aleydis
Day, Peter M.
Kilikoglou, Vassilis
Keywords: Excavations (Archaeology) - Greece - Kommos (Crete)
Issue Date: 1997
Publisher: Program in Aegean Scripts and Prehistory
Citation: Shaw, J.W, A. Van de Moortel, P. Day, V. Kilikoglou. “A LM IA Kiln at Kommos, Crete,” Aegaeum 16, TEXNH. Craftsmen, Craftswomen and Craftsmanship in the Aegean Bronze Age / Artisanat et artisans en Égée à l'âge du Bronze. Proceedings of the 6th International Aegean Conference / 6e Rencontre égéenne internationale, Philadelphia, Temple University, 18-21 April 1996. Edited by Robert Laffineur and Philip Betancourt, 1997: p. 323-330 plus illustrations.
Abstract: During the past few years, at Kommos in Southern Crete, we have revealed a well-preserved pottery kiln of Late Minoan IA date (Pl. CXVIIa-b and CXVIIIa). The kiln lies in the southern area of the site, south of the later Greek Sanctuary. During early LM IA a huge structure, faced by coursed ashlar, was built over an earlier Middle Minoan building in that area. We have dubbed the later Building T. T was characterized by spaces for storage and, perhaps, administration. Like the Minoan palaces, it featured a huge central court. Spacious stoas ran along the north and south ends of the court. For some unknown reason, after a relatively short period of use, T was abandoned within LM IA. Both stoas were to become centers for industrial production. Still during LM IA, a pottery kiln was built next to the southern wall of the South Stoa (Pl. CXVIIa-b and CXVIIIa). Presumably the colonnade had collapsed by the time that the kiln was set in. During LM IB, the North Stoa was used for metallurgical activities.
Description: 15 p. : ill. - This article has been scanned and reformatted by the T-Space Digitization Project Assistant. If a researcher is interested in referencing this work, it is recommended that the citation listed above be consulted, as the page numbers of the PDF file do not match those of the original publication.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1807/3063
Appears in Collections:Journal articles, conference papers and book chapters

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
A LM IA Pottery Kiln at Kommos, Crete1.doc.pdf1.94 MBAdobe PDF
View/Open

Items in T-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

uoft