test Browse by Author Names Browse by Titles of Works Browse by Subjects of Works Browse by Issue Dates of Works
       

Advanced Search
Home   
 
Browse   
Communities
& Collections
  
Issue Date   
Author   
Title   
Subject   
 
Sign on to:   
Receive email
updates
  
My Account
authorized users
  
Edit Profile   
 
Help   
About T-Space   

T-Space at The University of Toronto Libraries >
University of Toronto at Scarborough >
Bioline International Legacy Collection >
Bioline International Legacy Collection >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1807/6977

Title: War Wounds with Fractures: The ICRC Experience
Authors: Baldan, Marco
Giannou, Chris Paul
Issue Date: 31-Dec-2004
Publisher: Association of Surgeons of East Africa and College of Surgeons of East Central and Southern Africa
Citation: East and Central African Journal of Surgery (ISSN: 1024-297X) Vol 9 Num 2
Abstract: Historically, on a conventional battlefield, about 70% of the wounded present injuries to the limbs, the remaining 30% have central wounds involving head, chest or abdomen. The longer the delay in transport to hospital facilities, especially with inadequate first aid, the higher the death rate in the central injury group and the higher the percentage of those presenting with limb injuries. Most of these latter involve bones and/or joints. In a war situation, and especially in developing countries, high-technology facilities and skilled orthopaedic surgeons may not be available to deal with these wounds with particularly heavy tissue contamination. The experience of ICRC surgeons has led to an appropriate technology approach and the avoidance of sophisticated operations and equipment: "the simpler the better" has become our motto! Very important is the initial, extensive excision of all dead and devitalised tissues. The fractured bone is held by POP slabs, bridge POP, skeletal tractions and, in selected cases, external fixation. Internal fixation devices are never used due to the high risk of infection. Early and aggressive physiotherapy is of paramount importance. Good surgery without physiotherapy often results in a human catastrophe.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1807/6977
Other Identifiers: http://www.bioline.org.br/abstract?id=js04035
Rights: Copyright 2004 - East and Central African Journal of Surgery
Appears in Collections:Bioline International Legacy Collection

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
js04035.pdf50.66 kBAdobe PDF
View/Open

Items in T-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

uoft