test Browse by Author Names Browse by Titles of Works Browse by Subjects of Works Browse by Issue Dates of Works
       

Advanced Search
Home   
 
Browse   
Communities
& Collections
  
Issue Date   
Author   
Title   
Subject   
 
Sign on to:   
Receive email
updates
  
My Account
authorized users
  
Edit Profile   
 
Help   
About T-Space   

T-Space at The University of Toronto Libraries >
University of Toronto at Scarborough >
Bioline International Legacy Collection >
Bioline International Legacy Collection >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1807/7009

Title: Treatment of phimosis with topical steroids as alternative to circumcision
Authors: Nzayisenga, J. B. M.
Munkonge, L.
Labib, M.
Issue Date: 31-Dec-2005
Publisher: Association of Surgeons of East Africa and College of Surgeons of East Central and Southern Africa
Citation: East and Central African Journal of Surgery (ISSN: 1024-297X) Vol 10 Num 2
Abstract: Background: Topical steroids have been advocated as an effective economical alternative to circumcision in boys with phimosis. This study was aimed at evaluating the effectiveness of topical steroid therapy as primary treatment of phimosis. Methods: Between December 2003 and February 2005, 182 of the 231 boys aged 14 years or younger who were referred to us with phimosis, were treated with a six weeks course of topical steroids as primary treatment for phimosis. The outcome of treatment was evaluated up to 6 months from the initiation of therapy. Results: Out of the 182 patients treated with topical 0.1% betamethasone ointment, 141 (77.5%) successfully completed the follow up period. At follow-up 126 patients (89%) had a successful outcome and were able to avoid circumcision. The remaining 15 patients (11%) had little or no improvement and subsequently underwent circumcision. Conclusion: Topical steroids are becoming the standard conservative measure for treating phimosis. Our study supports this trend, with an overall efficacy of 89%.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1807/7009
Other Identifiers: http://www.bioline.org.br/abstract?id=js05033
Rights: Copyright 2005 - East and Central African Journal of Surgery
Appears in Collections:Bioline International Legacy Collection

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
js05033.pdf46.57 kBAdobe PDF
View/Open

Items in T-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

uoft