Selected Poetry of Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)
from Representative Poetry On-line
Prepared by members of the Department of English at the University of Toronto
from 1912 to the present and published by the University of Toronto Press from 1912 to 1967.
RPO Edited by Ian Lancashire
A UTEL (University of Toronto English Library) Edition
Published by the Web Development Group, Information Technology Services,
University of Toronto Libraries
© 2003, Ian Lancashire for the Department
of English, University of Toronto
Index to poems
Thus I; faltering forward,
Leaves around me falling,
Wind oozing thin through the thorn from norward,
And the woman calling.
(The Voice, 13-16)
- At Lulworth Cove a Century Back
- Channel Firing
- The Convergence of the Twain
- The Darkling Thrush
- The Dead Man Walking
- In Tenebris
- In Time of "The Breaking of Nations"
- The Man He Killed
- The Masked Face
- No Buyers
- The Ruined Maid
- Satires of Circumstance in Fifteen Glimpses VIII: In the Study
- The To-be-forgotten
- The Voice
- "When I Set Out for Lyonnesse"
Notes on Life and Works
Thomas Hardy, born in 1840 near Dorchester, took up architectural work, both with a local firm and in London, before turning to writing and publishing novels, beginning with Desperate Remedies in 1871 and ending in Jude the Obscure in 1895. Disgruntled after years of controversy dogged his novels, Hardy turned to poetry, his preferred form, quite late, with Wessex Poems in 1898. Seven more volumes of poetry followed: Poems of the Past and Present (1902), Time's Laughingstocks (1909), Satires of Circumstance (1914), Moments of Vision (1917), Late Lyrics and Earlier (1922), Human Shows (1925), and Winter Words (1928). Married to Emma Gifford from 1874 to her death in 1912, Hardy wrote some of his most moving lyrics about her in the year of her death. He remarried Florence Dugdale in 1914. His Collected Poems was published two years after his death (1930).
- The Collected Letters of Thomas Hardy, ed. Richard Little Purdy and Michael Millgate (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1978-88; PR 4753 .A4 1978 Robarts Library).
- Timothy Hands. A Hardy Chronology (Basingstoke: Macmillan, 1992). PR 4753 H26 1992 Robarts Library
- Michael Millgate. Thomas Hardy, a Biography, 7 vols. (New York: Oxford University Press, 1985; PR 4753 .M54 1982 Trinity College Library).
Given name: Thomas
Family name: Hardy
Birth date: 1840
Death date: 1928