Selected Poetry of William Brighty Rands (1823-1882)
from Representative Poetry On-line
Prepared by members of the Department of English at the University of Toronto
from 1912 to the present and published by the University of Toronto Press from 1912 to 1967.
RPO Edited by Ian Lancashire
A UTEL (University of Toronto English Library) Edition
Published by the Web Development Group, Information Technology Services,
University of Toronto Libraries
© 2003, Ian Lancashire for the Department
of English, University of Toronto
Index to poems
Great, wide, beautiful, wonderful World,
With the wonderful water round you curled,
And the wonderful grass upon your breast--
World, you are beautifully drest.
(Great, Wide, Beautiful, Wonderful World, 1-4)
- Great, Wide, Beautiful, Wonderful World
- Little Ditties I
Notes on Life and Works
Born in 1823, William Brighty Rands published several volumes of children's literature anonymously and contribuetd to periodicals under various pseudonyms, especially Matthew Browne, Henry Holbeach, and T. Talker. He worked as a reporter in the House of Commons and died in 1882. His major publications are
- [Browne, Matthew] Chaucer's England (London: Hurst and Blackett, 1869).
- Lilliput Levee (1864)
- Lilliput Lectures (London: Strahan, 1871). PR 5209 R2 L5 York University Library
- Lilliput Revels (New York: G. Routledge, 1871). Microopaque. New York : Readex Microprint, 1970. Center of Research Libraries Database.
- Lilliput Legends (1872)
- W. B. Rand, Lilliput Lyrics, ed. R. Brimley Johnson (London: John Lane, the Bodley Head, 1899). del F Fisher Rare Book Library
Given name: William Brighty
Family name: Rands
Birth date: 1823
Death date: 1882