Selected Poetry of Albert Frank Moritz (1947-)
from Representative Poetry On-line
Prepared by members of the Department of English at the University of Toronto
from 1912 to the present and published by the University of Toronto Press from 1912 to 1967.
RPO Edited by Ian Lancashire
A UTEL (University of Toronto English Library) Edition
Published by the Web Development Group, Information Technology Services,
University of Toronto Libraries
© 2004, Ian Lancashire for the Department
of English, University of Toronto
Index to poems
- Capriccio of Roman Ruins
- Conversation with a Widow
- The Erotic Civilization
- Home Again Home Again
- The List
- The Little Walls Before China
- Lost Content
- Native Woman
- On Distinction
- On the Preserved Body of an Inca Child Frozen to Death as a Sacrifice to the Sun
- One With The Sun
- Uninvited Reader
- What Is Impossible
- Your Idea of Embracing Horror
Notes on Life and Works
A. F. Moritz has published fourteen books of poems, which have earned the Guggenheim Fellowship, the Award in Literature of the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, the Ingram Merrill Fellowship, selection to the Princeton Series of Contemporary Poets, and other honours. He has translated seven books of poetry and a novel from Spanish and French, and in collaboration with Theresa Moritz has written biographies of Emma Goldman and Stephen Leacock, and The Oxford Literary Guide to Canada. He holds a doctorate in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century British poetry.
- Black Orchid. Toronto: Dreadnaught, 1981.
- Conflicting Desire Victoria, BC: Ekstasis Editions, 2000.
- Between the Root and the Flower. White Rock, BC: Blackfish Press, 1982.
- Early Poems. Toronto: Insomniac Press, 2002.
- The End of the Age. Toronto: Watershed Books, 2002.
- Houseboat on the Styx. Victoria, BC: Ekstasis Editions, 1998.
- Mahoning. London, ON: Brick Books, 1994.
- Music and Exile. Toronto: Dreadnaught, 1980.
- Rest on the Flight into Egypt. London, ON: Brick Books, 1999.
- Signs and Certainties. Montreal: Villaneuve, 1979.
- The Tradition. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1986.
- The Visitation. Toronto: Aya Press, (1983).
Sources: Moritz, A.F. Mahoning. London: Brick Books, 1994. Contemporary Authors Online. The Gale Group, 2001. li> Contemporary Poets, 7th ed. St. James Press, 2001.
Given name: Albert Frank
Family name: Moritz
Birth date: 15 April 1947
father: Albert Frank Moritz
mother: Mary Elizabeth Moritz
wife: Theresa Carrothers
son: Albert Moritz
Marquette University, Wisconsin (B.A.): 1969
Marquette University, Wisconsin (M.A.): 1971
Marquette University, Wisconsin (Ph.D.): 1975
Fellowships (6), Canada Council
Fellowship, Ingram Merrill Foundation: 1982
Fellowship, Gugenheim Foundation: 1990
Award, Amer. Academy & Inst. of Arts and Letters: 1991
Fellowship, Ontario Arts Council Works-in-Progress: 1999
Essayist on poetry
First RPO edition: 2004